Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace (Ephesians 4:2-3 NIV)
At the surface, being a “souled out” Christian and being a millennial often appear as polar opposites. Society tends to paint the picture of Christianity being uncool, too strict and too conservative for where the world is heading. Christian millennials, tend to battle with the desire to be accepted by our peers while still remaining obedient to the Word of God. It tells believers to be set apart– to be in the world, but not of the world. Christian millennials are anomalies in the world and in the church: the juxtaposition of the “ratchet and righteous” or the “lit with the Light.” Where can a young adult fit in? Where are the communities which help to build community?
Humans are relational creatures and thrive in community and fellowship with one another. It has been like this since the beginning of time. However, in the walk with Christ, one learns that he or she should not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. It is so imperative to be in relationships with people who have the same morals, standards, and beliefs as your own. In this spiritual journey, it is so much easier to be pulled down than to pull others up if he or she isn’t surrounded by spiritually edifying people. Since humans are relational people, one must seek Christian relationships. Having edifying friendships and romantic relationships help us to grow in our walk with Christ, understand His purpose for love and relationships, and encourage and aid in fulfilling life’s God-given purpose.
Additionally, those relationships give space to share struggles, goals, and give a sense of acceptance. Christian relationships help maintain accountability when everything but God is thrown at us daily and are a great way to be unapologetic and unashamed about Jesus. So how does a millennial seek out and cultivate Christian relationships? Do not worry! REFRESH has you covered!
- Continue growing your relationship with Christ
– In order for us to have thriving relationships here on earth, horizontal relationships, we must constantly be growing the vertical relationship with Christ. Through our relationships with Him and His Word we understand what love is and how relationships should be.
- Pray for God to bring people who are equally yoked into your life
– Matthew 6:8 tells us that God knows what we need before we ask. Our communication with Him shows our faith that He will provide what we are asking when it is His desire for us to have it. God wants us to be surrounded by His people.
- Seek out ministries targeting young adults in your area and online
– These are a great ways to meet like-minded people! You can grow in Christ together and build relationships through common connections, interests, and goals.
- Don’t be afraid of transparency
– None of us are perfect, but we serve a perfect God. Transparency is the key to growing healthy relationships. Under the mask we put on, we all have similar experiences. Transparency builds connection and builds trust.
Prayerfully, these tips will help you to cultivate Christian relationships! Community is imperative in this walk and there are many in the same position. The millennial generation of believers is growing and now it is time to come together!